Monday, December 1, 2014

Remembering Grandma "Sconsin"

So many memories of my Grandma "Sconsin".  Growing up we lived in Oklahoma, and then New Hampshire, and my grandparents lived in Wisconsin - they became Grandma and Grandpa 'Sconisn when we were little.  It stuck.

I can't think of Grandma Jean without thinking of molasses cookies at coffee time and games of cards at the table in the farm house. Care packages at Christmas with homemade jam and lefsa were always a highlight of the holidays when I was little.  Grandma's Peanut Butter Balls and Frying Pan Cookies have made it into my Christmas cookie repertoire, but this year the family recipes will hold even more sweet memories of the amazing lady who shared them with us.

I remember visiting Grandma and Grandpa in May 2009, and they were among the first to know we were expecting our first, and visiting again to introduce Gwendolyn to her Great-Grandparents.

One of my favorite "Grandma" stories is of my mom and her five siblings as children running around the farm looking for my Grandma.  When they finally found her she was hiding in a tree with a book.  As a mom of only two little kids, I can fully sympathize, and know that a bit of my Grandma has been passed down through the DNA chains to this introverted mommy.

Words are inadequate.  We were often separated by many miles but she was my Grandma.  She was loved and will be missed.

Geneva B. Wait ~ September 28, 1925-December 1, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment