Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Garlic Cheddar Smashed Potatoes

Updated 9-23-2010: If you've landed here from LifeAsMom's Ultimate Recipe Swap, welcome!  Fall is all about the comfort foods and there's nothing more comforting in my book than mashed potatoes.  I love to make these in a large quantity and freeze them in "side dish" portions.  They reheat beautifully!

I love mashed potatoes.  The only thing better than some creamy mashed potatoes, are garlic cheddar smashed potatoes.  I was so wrapped up in making these to top Shepherd's Pie with that I forgot to get a picture of the finished product - oops! Shepherd's Pie recipe to come tomorrow :-).  Don't be afraid to make a bunch of these as they freeze beautifully.

Garlic Cheddar Smashed Potatoes

5 quarts chopped and peeled Potatoes

½ cup Butter

1 Tbs minced Garlic

½ teaspoon Black Pepper

1 teaspoon Salt

2 cups small Cheddar Cheese cubes

chedgarsmash1Directions

  1. Cover potatoes in a 6-quart kettle and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft.

  2. In a small sauce pan, sauté the garlic and butter.  Add milk, salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.

  3. Once cooked, drain water off of potatoes and add liquid and spice mixture and mash with masher or mixer to desired consistency.

  4. Fold in cheddar cubes and serve.chedgarsmash2


Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. How much is 5 quarts of potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually about 4-5 pounds for me-but it depends on how small you chop them. I start peeling and chopping and when my 6 quart pot is just about full, I add the water and cook them :)

    ReplyDelete