Wednesday, December 7, 2011

God Gave Us Two

I have really enjoyed being part of the Blogging for Books program.  It's pretty simple, I go through the list and pick a book (or ebook), read it, review it and then pick a new one.  This last time it was time to pick a book, I was skimming the childrens' books because I really wasn't sure how much reading time I'd have between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

One of the children's books available was God Gave Us Two by Lisa Tawn Bergren and Laura J. Bryant.  Since we had just found out we were expecting our "Number Two" it was a perfect pick!  It sat on the shelf for a couple weeks as we waited to tell GTot that she was going to be a big sister.

God Gave Us Two is a beautifully illustrated story of a polar bear family expecting their "Two".  The older child wonders what life with the baby will be like and the theme that children are a blessing from God runs strong through the story.  The big sister asks the questions that I think most kids ask: What if I don't like the baby?  What if the baby doesn't like me?  What if the baby cries too much?  Each question is answered gently and kindly with reiteration of the blessing of a new child.  The illustrations are beautifully done and can tell much of the story on their own.

This is a great story to share with your young children the idea of a new member of the family on the way.  I know we're enjoying it!


2 comments: