Monday, December 28, 2009

Creme Brule

_SC02884For our anniversary last week I made one of HandyMan's favorites: Creme brule.  I used this recipe and it turned out very good.  Here are my notes on the process :)

1.  I had to cook mine almost twice as long as the recipe directed.  I'm not sure if my oven was off or what - but make sure to check that the center is set before you remove from the oven.

2.  Cooling - I let ours cool on the counter for about an hour and then to the fridge for another 4 hours or so before we served it and it set up beautifully.

3.  Crispy Sugar Top - I used my craft heat gun :).  If you don't have a kitchen torch, using the broiler is another recommended technique.  But, if you have a craft heat gun - this works too!  Just dust enough sugar on the the top so that it sticks.  Fire up the heat gun and take it to the sugar.  Once it starts to bubble up, add another thin layer of sugar and repeat.  I had to hit it with three layers to get a good crisp top, but it was good!

_SC02787

1 comment:

  1. I still think of you guys every time I see Creme Brule on a menu! (I've never tried making it.) The craft gun caramelization technique is very clever. : )

    ReplyDelete