Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Asparagus Round 2!

Last summer, another gardener friend mentioned to us that they were eating fresh asparagus in September.  We had a cool summer so I thought it was possible.  When I commented my surprise that his asparagus was still going, he told us that he lets it bolt in late June or early July and then cuts it all back in the beginning of August for a second crop.  This year we decided to give it a try, and what do you know, it worked!  I picked this handful of  fresh spears this afternoon:


I'm also picking the second crop of green beans and I have a bucket of ripe tomatoes collecting in my fridge.  I think I see tomato soup in my near future!

How does your garden grow?

This post is linked up at An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man I want to plant an asparagus bed. We have strawberries in one raised bed that will spread out taking it up. Then we only have one other bed. I am trying to talk my husband into 2 more! We have the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our asparagus bed was already established when we moved in and I have done NOTHING to it. We added a bunch of compost on top of it two years ago and we put a bunch of rock salt on it this spring because the grass was taking over. That's IT! I'm not sure how much work it is to get it started, but once it's going - piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete