Thursday, February 11, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Granola Bars

granolabarIf you're visiting from Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap, welcome!  I made these back in February and plan to make them again this fall as soon as I get apples dehydrated.  They are so yummy and can double as a snack or a dessert with a bit of icecream or yogurt!  Enjoy!

As part of my February Kitchen Challenge I'm working on finding healthier snacks to keep in the house.  I came across this granola bar recipe and started tweaking.  The result is an absolutely delicious bar that is loaded with healthy stuff.  I had a couple pieces straight from the oven with plain yogurt and it was fantastic-and could easily become habit forming! If they make it to the freezer they will be great airplane food for our trip later this month.

It fully meets my Whole Grain challenge and has some fruit and nuts thrown in for good measure. The honey flavor is prominent and they are rather sweet.  I think next time I will cut the brown sugar and honey to 3/4 cup each and add more pecans.  If you experiment before I do, please let me know how it turns out.

Apple Cinnamon Granola Bars


(Note: I made this recipe in a jelly roll pan, if you are using a 9x13, cut recipe in half)

2 cups Quick Oats

1 cup Brown Sugar

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour

1 cup All Purpose Flour

2 teaspoons Cinnamon

2Eggs

1 cup of Honey

1 cup Vegetable oil

2 cups dehydrated Apple Bits

1 cup chopped Pecans

Directions:

1.  Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and blend.

2.  Add all wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.  (HINT: use the same measuring cup for oil first then honey and the honey will slide right out!)

3.  Fold in Apples and Pecans.

4.  Grease pan liberally and press dough into pan.  I used shortening with a piece of wax paper and then used the wax paper to press the dough into the pan - worked great as dough is sticky.

5.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.  Let cool, cut into snack size pieces and enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think it will work with rolled oats? Have alot of those to use up in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I think it will. The "batter" is really dense and super sticky with the honey so it should hold it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious - and perfect flavours for autumn too!

    ReplyDelete