Thursday, March 3, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Last fall I visited friend while she was baking.  She pulled out a liquor bottle and started measuring it into the recipe and I didn't think much of it until I took another look and saw all the stuff floating in the bottle.  She then introduced me to her family's homemade vanilla. I was enthralled.  I wanted to run home and research it and make it RIGHT. NOW.  I did go home and research and enjoyed the Heavenly Homemaker's Tutorial.  Then I didn't get around to it, couldn't squeeze vanilla beans out of  my grocery budget etc.  But then everything lined up just right.  I had gotten a bottle of vodka for a recipe a couple months ago and never used it.  It sat collecting dust.  Then this week, Amazon had a crazy deal on vanilla beans and I had a little extra cash.  So I introduce you to my Vanilla In Progress:

I've read differing reports on how long to let it live in a dark corner: 8 weeks to 6 months.  In any case it will be ready for fall and Christmas baking.  We'll check back in on it in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment