Monday, April 19, 2010

Cook Book Review: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

bin5Back in February, a friend recommended Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois.  the recommendation came complete with at copy of the master bread recipe.  I was intrigued.  I requested my own copy from the library.  I experimented.  I renewed the book.  I requested it for my birthday.

I loved this cookbook. I had an "old standby" cookbook for my bread baking that was my general reference, but after reading ABin5 (as they abbreviate it on their web site), my inner baker was liking the new methods presented.

As I read through the introduction and then skimmed through the recipes, I kept thinking that it just seemed way too easy. It couldn't really work, could it?  I experimented, and their recipes do work.  Multiple recipes and techniques are presented for each base dough recipe.  This was one part that I really appreciated about this book.  We are a small household, and goodness knows I don't need all kinds of extra loaves of bread around the house.  But, if I know a dough base is good for about 2 weeks and can be used a few different ways,  I can look at my menu and plan accordingly.

ABin5 also provides instructions for freezing enriched (eggs and milk added) dough recipes that don't have as long of a refrigerator life.  I was skeptical, but these methods worked too.

The instructions are clear and concise.  Once your read through their method, have the correct equipment and understand your ingredients, I think that anyone can achieve great artisan bread at home under the tutelage of Hertzberg and Francois.

If you're interested, check it out at your local library or peruse their website.  Tomorrow - I'll give you my 2 cents on Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

(Disclaimer: This is a voluntary review and I have not been compensated in any way for this review.)

2 comments:

  1. We just got this from the library, and we can't wait to try it. Shh, don't tell John but I'm getting me, I mean him, a baking stone for father's day. Thanks for the tip!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome -have fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete