Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What's Your Garden Plan?

2010gardenThe days have been gorgeous and my garden beds were calling out to me.  So I got to work.  HandyMan turned the ones that I will plant in first and it is still a little early in our zone but I'm working on my cold weather plants.  I put in my broccoli starts and pea seeds into the ground and have plans to put my spinach and lettuce in around the 15th.

Our garden beds are about 4 feet wide by 8-10 feet long.  After the first couple years of gardening, I got smart and planned out my plants in such a way that the crops that are easily picked (carrots, peppers, squash) get planted in the squares in the center of the beds.  Around these squares are the crops that are a bit more intensive to pick: leaf lettuce, spinach, basil, cilantro, broccoli (I pick shoots as far into the summer as I can), and green beans.  This saved me a lot of back ache last summer and I plan to do it again this year.

broccoliOnce we get past the last frost date we will be adding peppers and tomatoes from starts and basil, cilantro, yellow squash, zucchini, acorn squash, pumpkins and green beans from seeds.

We also have established asparagus that we will be picking in May.  Strawberries and rhubarb are both showing new growth and should be ready in June and July.

What are your garden plans? Link up below!

No comments:

Post a Comment