Thursday, April 22, 2010

Garden Beast At It Again!

2010gardenThis week is a good-news/bad news week in my garden.  Sadly, the cool weather must have weakened the throw of the citronella on my Garden Beast Deterrent System.  I went out early this week and found this - a web of citronella wax pieces surrounding the hole that the Garden Beast came up and chewed up three more broccoli plants.   I think one of the plants will make it and I've added more citronella chunks too!  I found similar holes in my asparagus bed and bed with the peas and have topped them off with citronella chunks as well.  Maybe I'll stink out his tunnel system and the little Beast will go live somewhere else!

4-21 garden1 Now with the bad news out of the way, here's the good news: the first little leaves of my first planting of spinach are poking through the dirt, the first asparagus shoot is coming up, all of my broccoli in the second bed are doing great, peas are starting to shoot up, strawberry plants are sporting shiny new leaves and the rhubarb is sporting some bright red stalks!  Phew!  That's a lot of growing going on and happily overshadows The Beast for me this week.[gallery columns="2" orderby="title"]

No comments:

Post a Comment