Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cook Book Review: Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

hbin5So, yesterday when I wrote about Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and told you I "experimented", I have to admit, the first thing I did was add whole wheat flour to the recipes.  I like a good, white artisan bread sometimes, but for everyday consumption, I feel my family and I need something that is a bit healthier.

I guess I wasn't the only one with this thought, because after sifting through all the feedback from Artisan Bread, Hertzberg and Francois went back to the kitchen and produced Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  Written in the same style, and applying the same methods as Artisan Bread, Healthy Bread kicks up the ingredients to use whole wheat flours, whole grains, nuts, fruits and seeds to make truly delicious healthy bread.

I received my copy of Healthy Bread for my birthday.  I opened it, perused it and got sucked into it.  I've begun working through the recipes and have had fantastic results.  I generally opt for the white whole wheat flour and these whole grain recipes are tailored to handle traditional or white whole wheat.  They have formulated the recipes to produce light, airy whole wheat bread. After making dense, whole wheat bread for way to long, I am loving the new results!

While the ingredients used in this book are a bit more "exotic" than in Artisan Bread, most of the ingredients for the standard recipes can be found in a grocery store baking aisle.  As you move to more complicated breads (like the gluten free recipes) there are more specialized ingredients.

If you're looking for some good-for-you bread recipes to add to your collection, check out Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I think you'll like what you find.

(Disclaimer: This is a voluntary review and I have not been compensated in any way for this review.)

2 comments:

  1. I might have to try this, I am only "allowed" to make white bread as the wheat bread I make is well good for door stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made some pretty impressive door stops too and with their recipe and the white whole wheat flour, it was good. A bit denser than a normal white bread but a far cry from a door stop!

    ReplyDelete