This is one of those recipes. We love the sweet and salty combination found in a certain commercial granola bar and I like to use whole grains where possible. This trifecta perfectly matches great taste, healthy whole grains and budget friendly all into one dense snack!
Grown Up Granola Bars
4 cups Quick Oats (Rolled oats may not hold together as well)
2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Wheat Germ
1/2 cup Ground Flax Seeds
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Honey (I used part cheap pancake syrup as I didn't have enough honey on hand)
3 Eggs, beaten
1 cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Chocolate Chips
2 cups Dry Roasted Peanuts (coarsely chopped)
1. Beat together oil, honey, brown sugar and eggs.
2. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, flax seeds and wheat germ.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Then fold in peanuts and chocolate chips.
4. Press dough into a large jelly roll pan (11" x 16"). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
5. Allow to set about 10 minutes, cut in the pan and then allow to cool completely before removing from the pan. Store in an airtight container. I cut them to fit in the snack size baggies and usually get about 36 out of a pan.
This post is linked up to Life as Mom's Frugal Friday and It's A Blog Party: Delicious Dishes