Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sick Plants

I have a few plants in my garden that are doing great.  My pumpkins are taking over like they're on drugs - I counted at least 8 little guys out there this morning.

Aug8garden3

My green peppers look beautiful, although I only have one little pepper to show for it:

Aug8garden1My poor acorn squash were looking all wimpy and when I inspected further, I found that the main stem is hollowed out and it killed the plant.  Could this be the work of cut worms?  Any other guesses?

Aug8garden2Finally, my tomatoes are a little less bushy than I would like and while I'm used to the leaves curling a little bit because of the hanging style of planting, all the yellow leaves are not so good.  I gave them some plant food this morning and I'm hoping they'll perk up and be happy and grow lots of tomatoes in the next couple weeks.

Aug8garden4How are your gardens?

Linked at An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party

5 comments:

  1. How come not matter how well are gardens are doing we focus on the one or two plants that are struggling? 8 pumpkins is amazing! My peppers got a late start, but once they decided to take off they have gone crazy. I am trying a couple of salsa peppers this year. They are hotter than a green pepper, but milder than a jalepeno. They kind of have the same heat as salsa once the hot and cool pepper have been mixed.

    Check for worms they are hard to find as they usually camoflauge well since they are green. Also check for squash bugs. They are brown and tend to blend into the background or hide under leaves. I flush them out when I water and then squash them. Gross, but effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hanging tomatoes aren't doing well either. :( Hopefully they'll turn around before the season is over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks great! I found this link that offers some answers for yellow leaves on tomatoes:
    http://www.tomatocasual.com/2008/06/10/understanding-yellow-tomato-leaves/

    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had trouble with cut worms - but I've had entire crops destroyed by squash bugs. Check the plants over really well and squash the little buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Successes and failures, unfortunately seemed to be a part of every season for me- just try to concentrate on the good and learn from the not-so-good. ;-)

    Thanks for sharing at the Tuesday Garden Party!

    ReplyDelete