Friday, July 17, 2009

Hidden Veggies

Recently a friend told me about Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfield.  I liked the premise of it so I put it on my Inter-Library Loan list.  I skimmed through it and caught the major points and then set out to re-invent some of my recipes.  Jessica’s idea is to add vegetables, in pureed forms, to foods that your kids already eat to infuse them with a bit of nutrition.  It is a great in theory. However in practice it seems to be extra work with little results.  While her recipes were nutritious and the few I tried were very good, there weren’t enough veggies in her recipes to take the place of the veggie servings that we and our children should be getting.

BUT – when I did the numbers and realized that but substituting pureed yellow squash for some of the liquid in my favorite chocolate cake recipe, I was able to cut the fat calories almost in half and not tell the difference! Now we’re talking!   Since I love to bake, any opportunity to make recipes a bit healthier is right up my alley.

I’m working to infuse some of my favorite recipes with more vegetables using the pureed method that Jessica outlines.  Recipes will be posted as I experiment marked on this site with “HV” or “Hidden Veggies”.  Nutrition Facts I post are calculated through CalorieCount.

Do you have any veggie packed recipes that leave the eater unsuspecting?

No comments:

Post a Comment