Monday, July 20, 2009

TM On Gardening

2009 is our third year with a garden and unfortunately due to a very cool summer it’s not doing that great this year, but in the past two years we’ve done very well.  When we bought our home I was thrilled to see seven raised garden beds already in place and we have since added two more.  I am a HUGE fan of the square foot gardening method and have used it in our beds.

Our garden usually produces zucchini, pumpkins, corn, peas, spinach, carrots, broccoli, strawberries, green beans, basil, cilantro, cucumbers, green peppers, and tomatoes.  Most of our produce is then processed to be frozen or used fresh.  We have more freezer space than pantry space and the freezing process seems to be a bit easier than the canning process for me.

The thing that I love most about the garden and freezing our own (or locally grown) produce is that in the dead of winter when I bust out the frozen green beans, I know where they have come from.  They weren’t picked to early and flash frozen through some factory then trucked across the country. They came from my back yard.  That makes all the work of gardening in the summer, worth it!  What's growing in your back yard this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment