Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sonlight Chocolate Cake

This is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes.  I first snagged it when I was helping out in the kitchen at Sonlight Christian Camp.  I've made it dozens of times and with an electric mixer on hand, and it really doesn't take too much more work than a mix.

Ingredients



  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil

  • 1 1/2 cup Sugar

  • 2 Eggs

  • 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk

  • 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa

  • 2 cupsFlour

  • 1 teaspoon Salt

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda

  • 1 cup Boiling Water


Directions


1. Beat oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and beat until fluffy

2. Mix cocoa, flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl.

3. Add buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately, mixing thoroughly (I cheat and add them all at once and then mix it really well until smooth.  I'm sure Martha Stewart would have comments about that technique but it works for me!) Once fully blended add boiling water and mix until smooth.

4. Pour into a greased 9"x13" pan and bake at 325 for 40 minutes

Footnote


Recipe makes 12-15 cupcakes or 9x13 pan or 2 9" rounds. Cook cupcakes and round 15-25 minutes, checking often.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

Sonlight Choc Cake NF

No comments:

Post a Comment