Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thirsties Duo Covers

Updated 10/14/2010: If you're visiting from The Diaper Diaries: Things I Love Thursday - welcome! I posted this over a year ago and these are still my go-to covers as GBaby is showing no interest in potty training yet.  We've had to replace a few due to wear, but that's to be expected and since they're priced so reasonably it's not a big deal!

There have been a number of all-in-one diapers out there that tout fitting a child from newborn to early toddlerhood.  Adjustable with snaps, these diapers offer a “one-size-fits-all” option for parents who wish to invest in all-in-one diapers.  All-In-One diapers are just that, you use them once and the entire diaper heads for the laundry.

We didn’t choose the all-in one diapers.  We chose prefolds (cotton diapers fastened with Snappis) and covers (water-proof, Velcro tabbed covers that work like a regular diaper over the prefold).  There are various brands of said diaper covers and all offer the range of sizes, and until recently, you had to purchase each size as your child grew.

We started with the ProRaps – they were great with the newborn and small sizes for GBaby.  But now, GBaby is a bit of a string bean and doesn’t fit the stereo type for the chubby little breast-fed baby.  The ProRaps aren’t cut so well for skinny kids.  So I called Jillian’s Drawers, my favorite diaper place, to ask what diaper cover fits babies who are long and lean.  They recommended the Thirstie’s covers and pointed me to the new adjustable Thirsties Duo.

thirstiesduoThe smart people at Thirsties have now made an adjustable cover.  Halleluiah!  I ordered the Size 2 covers that are said to fit infants from 18-40 pounds.  They arrived and I washed one up to make sure it would work for GBaby.  Out of the wash and onto the baby, this diaper cover is a dream.  GBaby is only 16 pounds right now but she is long (27.5 inches) and these covers fit great.

The snaps are placed for an adjustable rise, meaning for the long torso baby, you can use the snaps to adjust the waist height.  The gussets are extra wide allowing for a snug fit around baby’s thighs.  One of my favorite Thristies features is that the Velcro tabs can actually stick to each other so you can fasten them one on top of the other for an extra secure fit around thin little waists.  I am sold!  These covers should last us through the remainder of GBaby’s diapered life and as diaper covers go, these are only $2 more each than the Thirsties sized covers.  If you’re looking at investing in prefolds and covers, I highly recommend considering these for your little one.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for all the cloth diaper advice and tips!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for new diaper covers (one in diapers and another on the way). I have been unhappy for years and am kicking myself in the tush for not having gotten better ones. I will looking seriously at these badboys!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only advice/warning on these, after a year and 1/2 of use is to make sure that they don't regularly go in the dryer. I think that's what's worn mine out quicker than necessary.

    ReplyDelete