Wednesday, July 15, 2009

TM- On Cooking

I love to cook. Love it! I love seeing and enjoying the finished meal and sharing a great home-cooked meal with friends and family. As much as I love cooking, I equally despise the clean-up of said culinary ventures. So I rarely cook for one meal at a time.

I've been inspired in part by my mom who always cooked to have leftovers and the theories more than the recipes of the Once a Month cooking folks. If I’m cooking it’s going to be for a small army or for at least four meals to come. Lasagnas and enchiladas: one for the oven and at least 2 for the freezer which will each yield dinner and at least a lunch if not two. Homemade meatballs: part of the batch for dinner, enough for two other meals to the freezer. Soups in the crockpot: dinner when cooked, enough for a meal leftover in the fridge and the rest portioned for Ready Meals to the freezer. You get the idea! What is your favorite meal to cook in batches or to have for leftovers?

2 comments:

  1. This is good thinking. My thing that I tend to make many of at one time is zucchini bread or banana bread. I got started because a neighbor gave me a cold oven pound cake recipe that yields 2 rich loaves. I'm a better baker than I am a cook... I love to mix things and then walk away as the oven or crock pot does its work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I'll be posting a Zucchini Bread recipe when my zucchini gets ripe that is great to make in large batches and freeze!

    ReplyDelete