Saturday, October 17, 2009

Make Your Own Hersh--I mean Chocolate Syrup

I am a huge fan of hot chocolate, chocolate milk, and chocolate sauce on ice cream.  Over time though, I realized that a lot of the syrups and cocoa mixes tasted more sugary and less chocolaty.   I decided that I could change that!  So I started making my own chocolate syrup.  It's really easy and I can get my bakers cocoa powder at our bulk grocery store so for me it ends up being less expensive too.

Ingredients

1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder*

1 cup Sugar*

1-2 cups Water (to your desired thickness - less for hot fudge, more for syrup)

Directions

Step 1: Combine 1 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder and 1 cup Sugar in a 1 quart sauce pan. *If you want it sweeter, use more sugar, less chocolate and visa versa for a richer, less sweet syrup.  The main thing is to make sure that you have 2 cups of dry ingredients.

chocsyrup11

Step 2: Add Water to dry ingredients and combine until all are moistened

chocsyrup12

Step 3: Cook over medium low heat until mixture begins to simmer.  Cook until the syrup is the desired consistency and remember that it will thicken even more as it cools.  Usually my cook time is about 15 minutes start to finish.

chocsyrup13

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks real yummy, and since pat scored a goal today we get to have icecream tonight.

    ReplyDelete