Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sewing Project: Infant Rain/Winter Cape

My sewing project of the week was a rain/snow cape for GBaby.  There are lots of stories online and recommendations from pediatricians to limit the bulk of winter clothing on children in car seats.  This was the most credible information that I could find after a number of google searches.  So, in an effort to try to keep GBaby safe and after getting myself soaked while leaning in the car to get her covered up before heading out into the rain or snow, I decided that GBaby needed a cape.  It also slips on and off easily as we run out to the car or between car and stores for shopping.  I found this cape while I was searching the internet and decided that I could make that.  So for about $10 and an hour and a half of work I ended up with the Little Red Riding Hood Cozy Cape.

I used rip-stop nylon ($5) for the outer shell, matching thread (1.29), 7-inch zipper (1.99) and fleece from my fabric stash for the lining of the cape and an old t-shirt for the lining of the hood because I ran out of fleece and she has a winter hat that's super cute anyway :).

"Daddy, do I really have to wear this?"

cape1

"Ok, it's not so bad.  And I can chew on it!"

cape2

And since GBaby wasn't quite in the mood to model, I enlisted the pumpkin for some help and here's a shot to give you the full idea of the finished product.  We used it for shopping in our fall-soon-to-be-winter weather this afternoon and it worked great.  When the car was cool, just buckle her in under the cape, if the car was warm, just pull it off.  So far, it's mom-approved and since it's chewy and has fun little cord stops that are cool to chew on (don't worry, the cord is thick enough that they won't come off unless she chews through the cord too), it's GBaby approved too!

cape4

1 comment:

  1. Love the cape, love the pumpkin, please tell me she is getting a baby doll for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete