Monday, October 5, 2009

Sewing Project: Infant Soft Shoes

shoes4This week, GBaby and I are staying with  my folks and I'm getting some time to work on projects.  My new sewing machine came a week and a half ago and I did nothing more than unpack it and load it into the car for this trip.  Today I took it for its maiden voyage and made little soft shoes for GBaby.  This was a project for a couple of sewing firsts for me.  This is the first clothing item made for GBaby, the first project on the new machine and the first project with buttonholes and all were a success!

I used the pattern from TackyLiving.com with a few modifications.  The fabric was selvaged from an old pair of jeans that had seen better days and a flannel blanket that was around.  So the cost of these was practically free, just the cost of thread and elastic.

shoes1For the decoration, I used the same striped flannel as the inside.  I stitched down a strip and then frayed the edges down to the stitching.  I did the same along the back to house the elastic instead of creating the 'casing' as the pattern calls for.  Since this was a trial pair and GBaby isn't walking yet, I just used the denim for the soles of the shoes but I do have some leather to use on later pairs once GBaby's up on her feet.  This pair of soft shoes are a little big on GBaby but I'm sure they'll be a perfect fit any day now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are adorable! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete