Saturday, January 16, 2010

Making a Memory Quilt with Photos

For Christmas, I made a photo quilt for my mom.  Mom had a section of wall that she was trying to decide whether to put photos up or a quilt hanging. She was concern by the high traffic past this wall.  So, inspiration hit and three (or four) of GBaby's nap-times later I had the project finished.  I had more photos of the construction of this project but the camera ate them.  So here was how I the photo quilt project went:

1.  Quilt design: This included the dimensions and layout for a basic quilt with sixteen- 6-inch squares to hold 5-1/2" square photos.  Then I had to gather and choose photos.  I think this was really the hardest part of the project as I was trying to get the best shots including Granny & Granddad with their three children and three grandchildren.  So after sorting and debating, I chose the photos and headed on to cutting.

2.  Cutting: I cut all the white squares and ironed on the photos.  I only had to re-do two of the photos which I though to be a great accomplishment in and of itself.  Then I cut the  bordering strips for between the photos, the longer border strips for between the photo strips and finally the wide outside border pieces.

3.  Sewing: I sewed together the strips with the alternating photo squares and border pieces.  This went quickly.  Then I sewed together the strips of photos, with the longer border strips.  This too, was not so hard.  Finally, I sewed the border on it.  I stood back and declared it good.  I was so proud of myself.

quilt1

4.  Layering: Next came assembling the quilt.  The process of layering the batting, quilt front and back and sewing it in such a way that when you turn it right side out everything is in the right order.  I also worked in tabs at the top to run a dowel through to hang it by. I layered it, sewed it, went to turn it right-side out and had thoughts that would make a sailor blush.  I took it apart, layered it again, sewed it again, went to turn it right-side out and almost cried.  UGH!  Third time is a charm and I had HandyMan double check it before I sewed to make absolutely sure that it was layered right.  It was and the finished project turned out very well.  I know where the goofs are but my Mom was gracious enough to ignore them. :)

quilt2

It was a fairly simple project (minus step 4) that I will probably do again sometime and is a unique way to frame your favorite memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment