Friday, January 1, 2010

Eat From the Pantry Challenge

freezerchallenge In my area of rural living, I love online community.  Often I stumble up on great online 'activities' that throw me in the same cyberspace as a ton of other folks all taking on the same challenge or goals.  In my skimming of blogs today, one such event:  the Eat From the Pantry Challenge.  The goals of this challenge are to plan meals for the month of January based on what is already in the pantry and freezer, to limit the number of trips to the store and to only buy fresh items like dairy and produce. It also allows you the freedom to make up your own rules so that the challenge works best for your family.

I've already done my grocery list and menu for January and had taken into consideration much of the contents of my freezer and pantry, so I'm jumping on board with this challenge.  Here are the goals I've personalized for us:

1.  Shave $50 (1/4) off our January grocery bill.

2.  Only 3 "odds & ends" stops after the Big Grocery Run at the beginning of the month.

3.  Maintain one Batch Cooking project a week.

4.  Extra money in the grocery budget at the end of the month gets split 50/50 between our local Food Pantry and the Summer Produce Fund.

I'll be linking up my progress here as the month goes on.  Looking to empty your pantry and freezer or get your grocery budget under control this year,  consider a monthly menu or  joining this challenge and see how much a little time and planning can save your pocketbooks.

1 comment:

  1. i would join you on this but this is what we did for the Dec, but I will be doing it agian in May to make more room in the frezzer for summer harvest. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete