Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pear Teething Cookies/Snack Sticks

I’m working on cleaning out the freezer before our summer produce moves into it’s winter digs.  While sorting through stuff I came across some baby food that I had made for GBaby a while back and never used.  The veggies I’ve hidden neatly in things like the HV Blueberry Bread and the HV Zucchini Bread.  Applesauce is fair game at anytime for anyone so I'm  not so worried about that.  Then I came across some pears.

I have wanted to make the Banana Teething Cookies again.  Although GBaby has cut all her teeth, she really likes this type of cookie best, especially if they’re coming from the freezer.  So I took the same ideas as the banana cookies – lots of fruit, little sugar, whole grain flours and came up this these Pear Snack/Teething Sticks. I have to say, they’re pretty darn good!  I’m thinking about pureeing some frozen peach I have to make another batch and it would probably work very well with applesauce too!

Are they ready yet Mom?
Are they ready yet Mom?
pearcookiesPear Breadstick Snack/Teething Cookie

1 cups pureed Pear [or whatever type of fruit you want]

2 eggs [substitute 4 egg yolks instead of two eggs for children under 1 year old]

½ cup Brown Sugar

2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour

1 ½ cups Unbleached Flour

1 teaspoon Baking Soda

Directions

1.  Beat eggs and brown sugar until smooth.  Add pear and blend thoroughly.

2.  Add flours 1/2 cup at a time until you reach a thick dough – should be similar to a soft play dough.  You may need more or less depending on the type of flour you use

3. Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll out into long ropes about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into pieces 3-4″ long and flatten slightly.

4. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown for a breadstick type snack.   Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes for a hard teething cookie.

~*~Thanks for visiting!  Subscribe to ThrivingMama via RSS or by Email and never miss a post!  Or follow me on Facebook!~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment