Monday, September 27, 2010

Caramel Apple Bars

applesLast weekend I was tasked to bring dessert to my brother's place as we all converged for a visit. I had apples to use and thought about making Apple Crisp. But, the house was chilly on Thursday night and I was afraid that if I made crisp the day before it would be closer to Apple Soggy instead of Apple Crisp.


Off I went into cyberspace for inspiration. I found these Apple Bars and then went to work modifying the recipe. The result was amazing! We had them with ice cream for dessert on Friday, nibbled them with coffee on Saturday morning and by the time I left on Saturday afternoon folks were picking at the crumbs.


I doubled this recipe for a large jelly roll pan. This recipe will work nicely for a 9x13. Enjoy this delicious bit of fall!


Caramel Apple Bars


1/3 cup Melted Butter or Margarine


1/2 cup Sugar


½ cup Brown Sugar


¼ cup Yellow Squash Puree


1 egg


½ tsp Vanilla Extract


1 cup All-purpose Flour


1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour


2 tsp Baking Powder


½ tsp Ground Cinnamon


2 cups finely chopped Apple


Glaze


¼ cup Whipping Cream


¼ cup Brown Sugar


¼ cup Butter


½ cup Powdered Sugar


Directions:





  1. Thoroughly combine butter, sugars, egg, yellow squash and vanilla.




  2. Add Flours, cinnamon and baking powder and mix. Fold in apples.




  3. Spread batter into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 35-45 minutes at 350, just until the edges are golden and the center doesn't jiggle.


    AppleBars




  4. Glaze: Combine cream, butter and ¼ cup brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and allow to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and mix until all powdered sugar is dissolved into the caramel. Drizzle over cooled bars. {sorry, no finished picture - they were enjoyed before I could get the camera out}




  5. Cut into squares and enjoy!



    This post is linked up at Things I Love Thursday.




3 comments:

  1. I love it! I will be linking this post to my next Monday Morning Favorites.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound absolutely yummy! We are supposed to get a whole mess of apples very soon. This will be high on my list of what I use them for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Caramel Apple Bars You know I’ve got to love this recipe – it uses white whole wheat flour and it has a hidden vegetable (squash!). I’ll just have to eat around the apples. (And stay tuned, folks, because Sarah from Thriving Mama is going to be bringing us a guest post with another great autumn recipe in the near future!) [...]

    ReplyDelete