Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Garden's Hanging On

Today is another rainy day in Central NY - with the potential for some great storms according to the national weather service.  They've issued a tornado watch - hmmm.  It's something to keep things interesting.

My garden still chugs along, with prolific green beans, determined tomatoes and patient pumpkins.  Does anyone know if a pumpkin that has fallen off the vine will ripen?  My peppers have perked up and decided to finally fruit and I have a dozen or so small bells that I'm hoping will "grow up" before the frosts come.  My little tomatoes are hanging on and ripening on the sad, brown vines that have given up for this year.  It looks like I should have another dozen small tomatoes pretty soon.

A friend told us this weekend that after their asparagus had bolted to bush after the first harvest, they cut it back the beginning of August and got a great second harvest through September.  I'm intrigued and certainly going to give that a try next year!

[gallery columns="2" orderby="title"]

This post is linked up at An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party

5 comments:

  1. We had a pumpkin rippen after it was picked from the vine by a family member thinking it was a watermelon and it rippened great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the party. I've noticed my asparagus putting up new shoots now. I hope next year when they are older I can have two crops, too. You have a pretty garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to trying asparagus next year - I'm wondering if that could be a fall/winter crop in my area... Love your pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting to see a garden across the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm going to have to look into that second crop idea for the asparagus- thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete